Go back to normal view

 

Parish Church - The Building

The Parish Church building is a grade 2 listed building that contains many interesting features.

The present building dates back to 1054.

Perhaps its most distinctive feature on  first sight is the Tower and Steeple which can be seen from most areas of the town.

To the left of the main entrance is the smaller entrance to the Anker's House Museum.

 

A fascimile copy of the Lindisfarne Gospels is also to be found in the Baptistry area

 

On entering the building there are a number of features:

Lumley Warriors - these are a series of 14 stone effigies along the north wall representing the Lumley family.  There are a number of theories about them - 3 could possibly be genuine.  None of them are tombs, they date from 1377 to 1594.

Lambton Pew - This was built in 1829 and designed by the architect Ignatiurs Bonomi and is reached from outside the building.

The Chancel - This was greatly altered in 1862, 1883 and 1927.   With the Harrison and Harrison organ, revoiced in 1945

 

The Lady Chapel

The Baptistry -

Stained Glass Windows - there are a number of stained glass windows - 2 of particular interest are the Window above the North Door - Holman Hunt Window and The Lindisfarne Gospel Window, both of which are to be found on the North wall.